Saturday, November 18, 2006

Leave someone alone for a few hours, and . . . .

Debbie got a ride in an Ambulance today. She said that she had never done that before. She also got to ring 000 for the first time, as well. You see, I'd gone over to Port Pirie to go Paintballing for Caleb's birthday (you can hear the story, and see the photo here) and while I was away, Debbie felt really ill. So ill, in fact, that when she picked up the phone, thinking that she might ring me, she had such an appalling attack of dizziness, "I'maboutothrowupiness" and "I'm about to collapse and pass outiness" that her fear that she might pass out with no-one to look after the kids led her to call for an ambulance. (Interestingly, the person who took her call was Jenny Crago, a friend of ours from Snowtown/ Eastercamp days.) While talking to Jenny she found herself lying on the floor in the doorway (apparently she had aimed for the front door to make sure it was unlocked and the ambulance people would be able to get in.) Natalie then sat with Debbie, to make sure that she was alright, and kept an eye out for the ambulance. When she saw them coming she went out at said "This way, I'll show you where she is" which I think was very grown up and helpful of her.

The paramedics found Sharina's phone number (they'd asked Debbie if there was a neighbour who could look after the kids) and apparently they seemed a bit surprised when this woman walked up just 2 minutes later with three children in tow. Sharina took the kids and looked after them, which was wonderful.

The ambulance took Debbie to hospital (where one of the paramedics mentioned that Jenny had asked them to ring her back to let her know if Debbie was okay) where they put her on a drip.

About this time, I've just started travelling back from Port Pirie. Suddenly the car in front, with the other carload of people for paintballing, pulled over. Caleb jumped out, ran up and said "Stuart, Debbie's been taken to hospital in an Ambulance" and mentioned something about breathing difficulties. Jeremy, who was driving his beloved Subaru WRX, pulled out straight away and proceded to drive with a bit more purpose than he had previously shown. (He didn't speed too much, honest.) While driving, we soon discovered that both Dave and I were out of credit, and Jeremy's battery was flat, so we had no way of contacting the hospital to find out what was happening. (I may have threatened God somewhere about this point, but on the advice of my lawyer I won't be commenting on that.)

About an hour later (and considerably closer to Whyalla) Dave (back seat of the car) got a phone call from Caleb, saying that Debbie was okay, and on a drip, that the kids were with Sharina, and Kerry was with Debbie. Not long after that, the boys dropped me at the hospital, and went to my place to pick up the car, so that I would have a way of getting home later on.

It was around 7:30 that we picked the kids up from Sharina. She had fed them, and washed Calvin, after his nappy leaked down to his ankles, and I can't thank her enough, for dropping everything at a moments notice and looking after 5 children 5 and under.

Calvin had just woken up from his afternoon sleep while Debbie was one the phone to the Ambulance. Apparently he kind of sat in the corner (as he does when he has just woken up) and watched what was going on. (Although he did try sitting on Debbie's tummy while the ambulance people were trying to do something, and when the paramedic suggested that that wasn't a good idea he went of and hid somewhere.) Because he had had an afternoon sleep, and he hasn't been well, it was after 10 before we finally got him to sleep. (And at 11:45 he's woken up, and made the noises that he makes just before he throws up, and come out to cuddle mummy, and been quite upset, the poor little munchkin. Debbie is now lying with him in his bed, after sitting up for half an hour or so, listening to me write this version of events.

I'm playing piano for church in the morning, and Debbie was meant to be playing bass in the evening. I tried getting someone else to play, but wasn't able to. Hopefully everyone will be better in the morning, but I did warn the worship leader that I wouldn't be able to make the normal 9:15 practice. It is now really late, and I really should go to bed. I'm sure that at some point Debbie will write her own version of events, and correct all of the things that I've got wrong, but in the meantime, I hope that everyone had a much more boring day that we did.

PS. Happy Birthday Wadih! Debbie had some plans for the blog, but for some reason they didn't happen.

5 comments:

Lindy said...

Oh my goodness. You guys just don't know how to live a quiet, peaceful, uneventful life do you?? I dread to think what would happen if you were living over here!!!! I trust that Debbie is now feeling well. Any cause for all the '....inesses'?? I hope the noises that proceed Calvin throwing up didn't actually eventuate in the vomiting department. Well done Natalie for being such a big girl and looking after Mummy so well. Good for you. I look forward to hearing an update on the situation. Lot to all.

Stu said...

The noises have normally been followed by vomiting, but last night (fortunately) they weren't.

Cherie said...

OH my god Debbie you poor thing! Wishing you all the best for speedy recovery, and remember to keep drinking water!

Natalie was a very brave nurse indeed wasnt she? A big well done to her :)

John said...

Whoa.. that wasn't the sort of news to hear about your Saturday!
Well done Natalie to help Mummy so well. Looks like the Ambulance trip to the kindy was a good move.
Hope Mummy and Daddy have both recovered the experience.

Kerryn said...

Wow!........................
sorry you had such a drama,good to hear Natalie is up to the job.Hope your self diagnosis is correct and you get all better with rest water and tlc.Bet Stu is a bit put out that you outdid him after getting those impresive bruises :)
Did you hear my U2 call to you?
try and take care :)
Love you all